Tuesday 14 February 2012

Mad Hatter Cake

Though I say it myself I think I have done myself proud here!  I really enjoyed making this cake!  I used some help from a fantastic guide on the Deliciously Decadent flickr page 
( at http://www.flickr.com/photos/deliciously_decadent/sets/72157616259103302/with/3406968002/)
to guide me through the process of how to get the right shape of this cake, and then I had a whale of a time decorating it!  

The topper is a really rather cheap fabric flower which I picked up in a shop, and boy did I then struggle to fin feathers to add to the top!  I wanted feathers large enough to decorate, and do the cake justice, so I had to settle for glue-guning several much smaller feathers onto a length of florists wire.  When I bought the flower it was glitter free, so I decided to get out the glitter glue (like the child at heart that I am) and bedazzle it a little!

For the fondant covering I used a fantastic recipe, and tips guide from the Baking Pan
(http://thebakingpan.com/recipes/fondant/classic-rolled-fondant.html)
substituting the gelatin for vege-gel (as I am vegetarian) and added some purple colour paste to one half of the fondant and added black food dye to the other half, as well as a large amount more icing sugar when the liquid made it far too sticky!

It was my friends birthday, and she loves purple and black, and therefore I think she rather liked her cake!  

I can't wait to get baking some more and experimenting more with the fondant icing!  As they say, practice makes perfect! 

Thanks for reading! 

Bye, bye for now from this baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment