I made two large rectangular vanilla victoria sandwich type sponges. Cut the edges off of one to get a really neat rectangle. The second one I cut into a 3. They were then covered with a thin layer of buttercream, which was smoothed to within an inch of it's life! I made the edges as sharp as I could possibly manage. I don't think I have ever spent so much time on buttercream! But I can tell you, it was well worth it!
I left these in sealed containers overnight for the buttercream to get a bit more solid and form a good foundation over which to lay the fondant.
The following day I did all of the decorating ...
I started out by covering both of the sponges separately with a layer of rolled out green fondant. This took a little while to get right, as I had to cut extra strips and patch together the fondant around the 3 quite a bit, but again, it was well worth taking the extra time and care for a better end result. And the bits where it went really wrong and I failed to rescue ... I covered with decorative sugar flowers and fondant mud puddles etc!
The flowers were bought ready made in a small packet, but the remaining decorations (mud puddles, lake and ducks, Peppa and George) were all made with fondant, rolled and cut or moulded into shape.
I attached everything using royal icing, and iced the lettering of the birthday message in the same.
I have had some really lovely compliments for this one, and I am quite proud of it. It was really nice to have a good excuse to make a good novelty cake! and I am looking forward to my next cake creating adventure now.
Thanks for reading.